What Is Sedation Dentistry?
A frequently asked question among those who first learn about sedation dentists is “What is sedation dentistry?” Sedation dentistry is the term applied to the efforts made by sedation dentists to make a dental visit as comfortable as possible for the patient. Sedation dentists’ focus on comfort has earned sedation dentistry the descriptive nickname “pain-free dentistry”.
Who is a Candidate for Sedation Dentistry?
Though nearly all of our patients at our office near Eagle and Meridian ID are candidates for pain-free dentistry, it’s standard that your sedation dentists meet with you first to ensure there is no health hazard.
We generally recommend dental sedation for our patients who experience one or many of the following:
- Dental anxiety
- Trouble sitting in a dental chair for longer lengths of time
- Fear of needles
- Traumatic past dental experiences
- Low pain threshold
- Heightened sensitivity when in the dental office
Sedation Dentistry Techniques We Offer:
Our sedation dentist utilizes three primary safe and effective pain-free dentistry options:
- Laughing Gas | Laughing gas is commonly used to help patients relax during their visit and help them feel comfortable and safe during treatment. Laughing gas is administered via a small breathing tube placed under the nose. Laughing gas is probably the most commonly used sedation dentistry option.
- Oral Conscious Sedation | Oral conscious sedation is another very simple way to ease patient anxiety. It is simply a pill administered orally before treatment. This sedative will cause you to feel completely comfortable and calm during your visit.
- General Anesthesia | General anesthesia is usually reserved for more complex dental treatments, but it is also occasionally recommended for children and adults who experience acute dental anxiety and may not sit still willingly otherwise. This is the only form of sedation where the patient is fully asleep.
Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
Sedation dentistry offers a tranquil solution for patients who experience anxiety or fear at the thought of visiting the dentist. By using various forms of sedation, from mild relaxants to more profound options that allow patients to sleep through their procedures, dental visits can become stress-free and comfortable.
Benefits of sedation dentistry include:
- Reduced Anxiety: Sedation can calm fears, making dental visits a more pleasant experience.
- Pain Alleviation: Patients typically feel no discomfort during their dental procedures.
- Gag Reflex Control: Sedation can help manage an overactive gag reflex, making treatments easier.
- Time Efficiency: Lengthy or multiple procedures can be done in fewer visits, as patients are more cooperative and can tolerate longer sessions.
- Memory Loss: Some forms of sedation can leave patients with little to no memory of the procedure, which is beneficial for those with dental phobias.
These advantages make sedation dentistry an excellent choice for those who might otherwise neglect their oral health due to dental anxieties.
My father in law has always had a fear of dentists. To the point that he has panic attacks and refuses to go until something is seriously wrong… we had to sedate him in order to get him through the front door. After just a few visits he was able to go to the office without medication and didn’t have anxiety attacks. I attribute this to the fact that Dr. Blaisdell scheduled a meeting with him first where they just chatted and got to know each other and didn’t even look in his mouth the first appointment. He built up the trust before getting down to business. I refer people often because they are a wonderful group and I know my friends and family will always be in good hands with them!
Afraid of the Dentist? Fear No More—Experience Worry-Free, Pain-Free Dentistry in Boise!
Our sedation dentists in Boise change lives by enabling patients to receive the dental care they need when they might otherwise avoid it. Please call, text, or email to speak to our team and learn more about sedation dentistry. Schedule a sedation dentistry visit with our dentist near Meridian, Nampa, and Eagle, ID, today!