Your Meridian ID Dentist Providing Advanced Dental Laser Treatment
Blaisdell Family Dentistry provides professional dental laser services in the Boise, Eagle and Meridian ID area. Our dental laser dentists, Dr. Lynn Blaisdell and Dr. Craig Blaisdell have specialized training so they can bring you the best treatment available. Laser dentistry has been around since the mid-1990s. Dental laser treatments are used to treat a variety of dental problems. A dental laser is used to treat the following conditions:
- Tooth decay – Our laser dentist uses lasers to remove decay within a tooth and prepare the surrounding enamel to receive the filling. Lasers are also used to “cure” or harden a filling.
- Gum Recontouring – Laser dentistry is used to reshape gums either for cosmetic purposes or as needed during root canal or other procedures.
- Frenectomies – A frenum is a tissue attachment between organs or tissues. In your mouth, you can feel a frenum by placing your tongue up where the inside of your top lip meets your gums right above the middle of your front teeth. There is another connecting the inside of your bottom to your bottom gums. In some cases, these could cause gaps between front teeth and a frenectomy may be the answer. There is also a frenum connecting your tongue to the bottom of your mouth. This one in particular can cause some problems. If it extends too close to the tip of the tongue, it causes a condition commonly known as being “tongue tied”. It can also make it difficult for some infants to nurse. Dr. Blaisdell can use a dental laser to reshape the frenum to give the tongue the movement it needs for normal function.
- Biopsy or lesion removal – A dental laser can be used to remove tissue a dentist considers suspicious for testing to determine if it is cancerous or benign. Laser dentistry is helpful in removing sores in the mouth and relieving the pain of canker sores.
- Teeth Whitening – A dental laser is often used to speed up the process of in-office teeth whitening. A peroxide bleach solution is applied to the tooth surface and is activated by the laser energy which promotes a faster process.
Advanced Laser Dentistry In Boise
Lasers work by using light energy. When laser dentistry is used in surgical and dental procedures, the dental laser works as a cutting instrument or a vaporizer of tissue it comes in contact with. Another way our laser dentist use lasers in dental procedures is to “cure” or harden fillings or to strengthen the bond between veneers and the tooth or fillings and the tooth.
Benefits of Laser Dentistry
- Lasers are generally painless so less or no anesthesia is needed
- Lasers can reduce anxiety in patients with a fear of a dental drill
- Lasers minimize bleeding and swelling of soft tissue treatments
- Lasers can preserve more healthy tooth during cavity removal
For decay removal and cavity fillings, water lasers combine light and water and deliver great results without pain. Our patients like our laser dentist because they feel really comfortable and usually the dental procedure goes by more quickly. We are happy to walk you through the process and explain exactly how we will use dental laser technology if we think it is the best solution for your situation. Visit us today for laser dentistry services in Boise, Eagle or in Meridian ID.