Dental technology has expanded in Boise and across the United States in recent years. There are options now that were undreamed of, just a few decades ago.
One of the most significant advances is dental implants. Implants consist of an artificial tooth attached to a titanium post that is implanted into the patient’s jaw . It’s the post that is the implant, and it replaces the root of a missing tooth.
The idea of dental implants is not all that new. Anthropologists have discovered evidence of implants being performed by ancient Mayans. By modern standards, they were very crude. And we don’t even want to think about how those implants were inserted into the patients’ jaws.
A modern dental implant provides many important advantages over a dental bridge or dentures:
- Longevity – Dental implants are tough and permanent, meaning with proper care they can last ten years or more.
- Seamless – Fabricated to have the same shape, size and color of the original tooth, the implant will blend seamlessly with all the other teeth. If the original tooth had aesthetic issues, these can frequently be fixed with the implant crown.
- Function – A dental implant functions like a natural tooth allowing for normal eating and speaking.
- Convenience – Unlike dentures, no adhesives, rinsing, or removal is necessary.
- Independent – Like the missing tooth, the dental implant is treated individually. No damaging of adjacent teeth is required, as with dental bridges. This independence allows nearby teeth to remain intact. Cleaning is easier than with most dental bridges which can require the threading of floss under and around the artificial tooth.
If you are interested in a dental implant, call Blaisdell Family Dentistry in Boise to schedule a consultation. If you are a good candidate for the procedure, the process can begin. We also provide family and general dentistry, and look forward to meeting you!
Contact Blaisdell Family Dentistry:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):